Coaches Corner with Jesús Viejo


Back in July 2023 - I woke early on a Thursday morning to an email with the subject title "Marco, Your Role at XXX Company". After opening the email the body went on to inform me that my role had been impacted and I was being laid off. Naturally this sucked, but once the dust had settled and I had a few days to process the news - I did what any normal, sane and addicted Padel player would do. I booked a week in Bali to go play Padel. A somewhat of an "Eat, Play, Love (Padel)" trip for me if you will.

While in Bali, and not having to worry about emails piling up in my inbox, deadlines and the usual stresses of having a job - I really wanted to take the opportunity to refine my game. So alongside joining a few matches each day, I thought of no better way to do this than to book private lessons with a coach. So I did.

That was the day I met Jesús - one of the resident coaches at Jungle Padel in Canggu, and the person that helped me significantly improve my game after just one 60 minute session with him! So as I thought up this new segment for my blog entitled 'Coaches Corner', I couldn't think of anyone better to feature first! 

Side note: If you have any suggestions on a different title for this segment  - let me know 😉 but without further ado - I'd like to introduce you to Jesús: 


Can you share your journey into the world of Padel coaching? What inspired you to pursue coaching in this sport?
I began playing Padel in my hometown of Gran Canaria 11 years ago and was really drawn to the social and fun part of the sport - plus it was super addictive. I have been coaching for around 4 years now and for me - coaching feels like more of a hobby than a job because I enjoy it so much.

What made you move to Bali and how did you get the job at Jungle Padel?
I wanted a change from my daily routine and try a different quality of life somewhere else. Luckily I had some friends in common with the owners (of Jungle Padel) who said they were looking for coaches to join them in Bali, so after I finished the interview process - they liked me enough to hire me.

As a coach, what do you consider the most essential skills or techniques for a Padel player to master, regardless of their level?
The number one and most essential skill for any Padel player is consistency. If you can ensure you’re being as consistent as possible, and limit your unforced errors during a match - you can be competitive. 

What's the most common mistake you see players make, regardless of skill level?
No matter what skill level any player has, the most difficult thing to learn in Padel is the correct positioning on court. You and your partner could both be strong players but if you don’t understand where you should be on the court during each point - you will make life very difficult for yourselves! 

What are your top 3 tips to any player looking to better their volleys?
   1. Always be ready for a volley by keeping your racket high
   2. When hitting the ball, keep your wrist straight
   3. Impact the ball slightly in front or next to you and follow through 

How about the bandeja? Can you share some tips for mastering this shot?
Keep your elbow high, open the face of your racket, make sure your body is positioned sideways, choose the impact zone with the other arm next to your body, don't move your legs when you impact the ball, impact the racket under the ball and finish a diagonal movement with the racket to the opposite shoulder.

Mental game matters! How do you help players overcome nerves and stay focused during matches?
Everyone makes mistakes, even the best players in the world. But what separates good players from great players is how they are able to move forward after a mistake. Just remember that after every mistake, each point is new. And of course, be consistent and limit your unforced errors.

If you could partner with any padel player - who would it be and why?
It would probably be a leftie like Arturo Coello, who also happens to play on the right. This means we can cover the middle of the court with our forehands, allowing us to be super offensive and of course, I could keep playing on the left which is my preferred side!

What's the most rewarding part of being a Padel coach?
I really enjoy the social aspect of my job. You get to meet so many new people from all over the world and make them happy - because they get to learn and have fun while playing the sport we all love!

Lastly, what advice would you give to aspiring Padel coaches who are looking to make a positive impact on their students and the sport as a whole?
Besides having a good understanding of Padel as a whole, coaches should try to really read / learn / study each student that comes to a lesson. Everyone is unique and needs different things to everyone else. You should really pay attention to what they are doing, how they are playing and be able to explain things to them in a way that makes sense to them as a player.
I want to thank Jes
ús for not only taking the time to coach me that day, but also for agreeing to take part in this exercise (which selfishly I really enjoyed). If you ask anyone that knows him, he's such a genuine person with a real passion for life - and someone that is so generous with their time and I'm forever grateful for the insight he's provided for this article!

If you find yourself in Bali and are staying in the Canggu and Kedungu areas and would like some coaching (personal or group) from one of the best in the business - drop Jesús a WhatsApp on +34 674 106 448 or via his Instagram on jesus_padelcoach.

Thanks for reading - and remember to follow here for more awesome Padel content! Here are a few more snaps from that trip:

Comments

  1. Loved learning more about Jesús! Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool idea to introduce coaches all around Asia and share experience. I am contacting Jesus !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Mecca of Padel in Asia

Mixed Couples Final

In Focus: Prime Padel